Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Jazz

I’m learning a lot about jazz. A friend of mine, Sean Dietrich, asked me if I would shoot his jazz trio at a house party. I thought it would be like any other live band video I had shot before--right up until the second take. On the first take, they had nailed it. And judging by the musicianship I had just witnessed, I was expecting a perfect replication of what I just heard. What I didn’t realize was that for a musician like Sean, perfection has nothing to do with replication. A song’s worth has more to do with the conversation between the musicians at any given moment, which means that I ended up with four individually perfect and completely unique takes of the same song. For the record, this is incredible to experience live, but a potential nightmare at the editing desk. I can honestly say that I walked away from that night having no clue how I was going to pull off the video.




No comments:

Post a Comment